Michelle L. Smith, PhD
Dr. Michelle Smith is a licensed clinical health psychologist in Florida and Georgia.
She completed her predoctoral internship at North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System (NF/SG VHS), the largest Veterans Health System in the nation. She received her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at Jackson State University. Dr. Smith received a B.A. in Psychology and in African and Afro-American Studies (double major) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and a M.A. in Psychology from Fayetteville State University.
Dr. Smith’s clinical interests include the treatment of minority health disparities, health promotion and disease prevention, chronic disease management (e.g., chronic pain, diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, cancer, sleep apnea), insomnia treatment, tobacco cessation, and pre-surgical evaluations (organ transplantation, bariatric, gender-affirming, spinal cord stimulator, vascular). Her primary research interests include the study of minority health disparities and barriers to physical and mental healthcare utilization.We are excited that Dr. Smith is bringing clinical health psychology focused interventions and assessment for adults to our practice. She will be with our practice on a part-time basis.
Credentials and Certifications
- Psychologist, State of Florida (active) since 08/2014
- Psychologist, State of Georgia (active) since 09/2015
- Certification as a National Register Health Service Psychologist (active) since 06/2015
- Certification in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Chronic Pain
- Certification in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
- Certification in Competency Development for Leaders Program